"Authenticity and imagination are the seeds from which truly great things grow"
SO WHO AND WHAT IS FANCY V?
FANCY V is essentially a brand split into two main streams: a boutique vintage-inspired niche market of goods and services, pinup persona and post modern musical act.
WHY CREATE AN ALTER EGO WITH A FICTIONAL NAME AND LIFE STORY?
I believe every "pinup girl" should have a fabulous stage name to match her pinup personality. That's the glorious thing about imagination. Logic will take you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT?
It all started a few years ago after visiting a vintage fair. I was in my absolute element, when the penny dropped.
I had always had a passion for vintage-inspired creations, pop culture and pinup art. I adore Enoch Bolles, Gil Elvgren & Alberto Vargas. Without realising it, I had been developing my brand for many years. It's the romance and nostalgia of that era that envelops me.
Suddenly the pieces of the puzzle came into place. My imagination was unleashed. What if I could create a platform for the era? - A melting pot of artists, services and experiences that would transcend a crowd as well as the physical means to sweep them away to a truly inspiring era, a simple classic concept.
So welcome FANCY V- Splashes of femininity and style, coupled with influences that begin from 1800's through to the 1950's.
ANYTHING NEW ON THE HORIZON?
There is always something being developed at FANCY V...
On a musical note in 2015 I released two original pop tunes co-penned & produced along-side award winning songwriters/record producers- Lindsay Rimes, Matt Fell, Simon Shapiro, Danny McCarthy, entitled "FANCY V"
AVAILABLE ON ITUNES NOW...
FANCY V & LES PIN UPS also feature on
2012 release of Hugh Scott Murray & The Big Ol' Bus Band "Gold in the River"- written & produced by Hugh Scott Murray, one of Nashville's finest and most respected songwriter/artists.
AVAILABLE ON ITUNES NOW...
WHO ARE LES PIN UPS?
LES PIN UPS is a band that comprises three female artists. We specialize in post modern versions of pop covers. We take inspiration from jazz, swing, pop and rock 'n' roll. Think Katy Perry as swing, Queen as the Andrew Sisters, Beyonce as Rock n Roll. FANCY V is the creator of LES PIN UPS and each member has her own pinup persona. It's all tongue in cheek fun!
WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND AND TRAINING IN THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY?
I studied song and dance for 10 years. My career in singing began at age 16 and I have been doing it ever since. This profession has allowed me to travel the world. I have won many awards including Best Pop Song of the Year -Australian Songwriters Association Awards. Best Performance in a Pop Category - ASA Awards and first prize of $ 100,000 in The Australian Contemporary Singing and Entertainment Awards 2002.
I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the industry's most respected and talented artists, musicians, songwriters and record producers. Some of them include:
- GUY CHAMBERS- Songwriter, musician and record producer- 12 #1 Albums, 22 top 10 singles including 6 #1 singles. (Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue, The Wanted, Marlon Roudette, Katie Melua, James Blunt, Miles Kabe, Rufus Wainwright, Tina Turner)
- HUGH SCOTT MURRAY- Published artist, musician and singer songwriter- (The Big Ol' Bus Band, Keith Urban, Lou Rawls, INXS)
- LINDSAY RIMES- APRA award-winning and EMI published songwriter/ producer- (Benji and Joel Madden, Tina Arena, Shannon Noll, The McClymonts, Reece Mastin, Stan Walker, Timomatic)
- MATT FELL- Award-winning producer/engineer and artist. 2011 CMAA Record of theYear , 2012 Aria Nominee- Engineer of the Year- (Tim freedman, Josh Pyke, Sara Storer, Ian Moss, Slim Dusty, Butterfly 9, Australian Idol)
- DANNY MCCARTHY- Aria award-winning & Mushroom Music published artist, musician and songwriter- (Darrel Braithwaite 'RISE', The Chosen Few, Girl Overboard, Butterfly 9)
- SIMON SHAPIRO- APRA award-winning artist, musician & singer songwriter (Shannon Noll, 1927, ASA Songwriter of the Year)
WHAT IS "FANCY FOLLIES"?
I have always marched to the beat of my own drum. Being unique has always been important to me. I've always had a penchant for design. My Mother taught me how to sew and encouraged me to design my own costumes and fashion from a young age. She would say, "If you create something from your own hands and your own imagination, it will bring you far more satisfaction and joy than any store-bought item ever could."
So I did. And she was right.
"FANCY FOLLIES" is about expression and uniqueness. The evolution of this collection has taken me several years and I am now very proud to present my "FANCY FOLLIES- DESSERTS COLLECTION"
WHEN DID YOU START WORKING AS AN ARTISTIC DIRECTOR AND STYLIST FOR PINUP AND VINTAGE-INSPIRED PHOTOGRAPHY AND OTHER PROJECTS?
I literally fell into this. I had decided to create 9 pinup looks that would co-inside with the release of my FANCY V pop tracks. When you have a beer bottle budget and champagne tastes, you really don't have a choice but to DIY. With no budget to hire a stylist, artistic director and set designer, it was up to me. This was where I discovered something new about myself. Leaving no stone unturned, I painted the picture, styled and designed my own costumes and sets, begged and borrowed some vintage cars, scouted the locations, wrote the schedule and hired my team. I was lucky enough to secure two extremely talented and highly revered photographers to work with.
- www.alexiasinclair.com (The Regal Twelve, The Royal Dozen, Marie Claire, Harper's Bazaar, Sass and Bide)
- www.marvinjoseph.com (Sony Vaio, Wilhelmina NYC, The Potbelleez, Mr Wilson, The Squared Division)
On completion of my pinup series, I was offered a job. This opportunity has led to not only working in fashion but also on film and music videos.
So now you know, who, why and how. Please enjoy the rest of your FANCY V experience.
Cupcakes and Kisses